I spent the morning at the Calgary Zoo scouting the area for some wedding photo options for an upcoming wedding I have there. I haven’t been to the zoo during the winter as I figured there wouldn’t be much to see as lots of animals can’t tolerate the cold temperatures or they would be in hibernation. What I learned is, I was totally wrong! Even in the winter the Calgary Zoo has fun + exciting + beautiful things to see! And the animals were surprisingly more active today than I remember them being in the summer. I was given a tour of the zoo by Aimslee who so graciously took time out of her day to entertain me. Something I find truly wonderful about the Calgary Zoo is how passionate, helpful and friendly their staff is! Anyone you speak with loves their job and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable!
We toured the Conservatory, the Gorilla exhibit, and the Penguin exhibit. I was truly in awe over the Calgary Zoo’s new Penguin exhibit! They have several different kinds of Penguins of various sizes and personalities and I was shocked at how close you can get to the Penguins in their habitat. The King Penguins get to waddle through the zoo every morning free from their exhibiting home during their morning stroll. The King Penguins are serious about their daily exercise! Aimslee let me know that the Penguins are in no way forced to go for a walk but rather they get to decided if they get to walk or not by standing at the gate patiently waiting to be let free!
After my tour I was allowed to stroll through the zoo at my leisure. I found lots of beautiful little corners and warm areas that would be very photogenic had I brought a Bride and Groom with me today. The Calgary Zoo does an amazing job all year around caring for the property and the animals and most of the zoo has some awesome well manicured areas perfect for wedding photos. I am very excited to be shooting at the zoo later this spring and can not wait for my next visit to the zoo to see more penguin walks and watch the season change!
A few things to note if you are looking to host a wedding at the Calgary Zoo.
– You are allowed to have your engagement photos taken at the zoo. (if you are not hosting at the zoo you can still have your engagement photos taken there however, you do need to pay the entrance fee)
– The Dinosaur exhibit will be opening soon with moving dinosaurs. Also that area of the park as some very nice treed areas with flowers and other nice backdrops.
– The Canadian wildlife area also has some very nice treed areas with a little duck pond and bridge that when framed well, can look stunning for wedding/engagement shoots.
– If you are not hosting your wedding at the zoo but would like to get photos taken there, please call head for permission and please pay the entry fee.
– The indoor conservatory and other indoor rainforest areas are perfect options for photos if the weather outside is not ideal.
Here are just a few photos from morning stroll.
The penguin waddle through the Calgary Zoo…I am not sure I have ever seen anything so adorable!
This Mountain Goat was so close! It was standing right above people as they peered into their exhibit space…A few people almost walked away disappointed until I pointed out the Goat standing right above them!
One of my favourite things about the Calgary Zoo (as I am sure you will noticed in just a few seconds as you scroll to the bottom of this post) is all the different birds! I love birds because they are so neat to look at, they have cool little personalities and a lot of them are REALLY colourful! I just love photographing them!
For other Calgary Wedding Venue reviews please click HERE.