6 Secrets for a Happy Life – After Love, Marriage and…
It would be amiss to say that marriage comes without any challenges! After so many years (10 years married and 14 years together), here are 6 Tips for how my husband and I have made our marriage happy and lasting!
- Set Marriage Goals together. Once a year my husband and I sit down and write out 5 goals for our year and we revisit these often to see how we are doing. We write them on our mirror in our bedroom so we see them everyday. We write things like, plan a vacation in October, put away $1000.00 this month in longterm savings etc. They don’t need to be glamours just goals that keep you both focused on the same direction!
- Setting aside time to talk. We can get wrapped up in our everyday work and forget to really communicate with one another. Setting aside time to checkin with each other and see how the other is doing is a great way to reconnect, stay open with one another and work out any kinks in the relationship.
- Date nights. These don’t have to be grandiose or overly frequent. But setting aside time to go out together (with no distractions – no cellphones, no kids, no work talk, no other friends) chatting, holding hands and enjoying a romantic moment is a great way to also reconnect with one another. Putting your spouse first above other distractions is way to show respect and thoughtfulness.
- Celebrate! I like to find reasons to open a bottle of bubbles. You can use this idea with #1 above. Reaching a goal you set out should always be celebrated with a toast to success! Never holding the other back from reaching their full potential is key in a relationship! Encourage new adventures, hobbies, and challenges, and celebrate your spouses achievements. Doing this together is a great way to build a strong and meaningful friendship within your marriage.
- Keeping the “flame” alive. Sure your sex life is private and this topic can make some people uncomfortable, but knowing what your significant other likes and does not like in the bedroom can help keep the flame alive. Making room for alone time for just the two of you so you can freely and openly talk through ways to spice up your love life is healthy and with your soulmate should never feel uncomfortable. If you can’t talk about it, you can’t make the changes your relationship needs. Start with just a small conversation and work up to the more intimate details. Be sure to respectfully listen to each other, it will make the conversation easier to break into, eventually leading to better more open communication in the bedroom!
- Be Thankful! Sometimes when you are in a rut with yourself or your career, that stress and frustration can manifest itself in your marriage too. Try to concentrate on the things your spouse does with an open mind and gratitude. Marriage is all about teamwork, and a “thank you” can go a long way to making your spouse feel appreciated!